Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



Title: The Hunger Games
Series: The Hunger Games
Authors: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Received: Bought as ebook
Release Date: October 2008
Pages: 374
Rating:


What is it About?

An alternative or futuristic world where humanity is broken up into different districts.  Every year they have a game taking two (1boy, 1 girl) children from each of the 12 district to fight in a battle called the Hunger Games.  The games are televised and only one can survive.

My Thoughts:

Yes I usually give in to the hoopla and read what’s got the most hype.  When I read this though I couldn’t help but compare to Twilight series. Mostly because people keep saying with the movies coming out it going to be the new phenom.   

So I feel compared to Twilight the writing is much better and just feels powerful.  The detailed description of the characters, the district and the capitol was stunning.  It is a world that was created almost like Harry Potter series.   Like Twilight this has a love story thrown in , very creatively I must say, but disengaged with the love story.  In fact I found my self skimming when it became mushy.

I thought the writing to be excellent but did not feel the hype.   The first book really felt like a intro to the characters.  Which makes me wonder how the two other books in the series fare.
Saying all that I had fun reading it because it brought me back to enjoy reading as I was on a break.



Website:

Suzanne Collins Official
http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/

The Hunger Games Official Movie Site
http://www.thehungergames.co.uk/

No comments: